This will only take a minute
Online Master of Science in Nursing
Adult-Geriatric Nurse Practitioner
View articles and other resources related to the program and the nursing profession.
The growing senior population in the U.S. is adding to the demand for health care as a whole, but no profession is better equipped to meet the unique needs of elderly patients than adult geriatric nurse practitioners. With Regis’ online Adult Geriatric Nurse Practitioner-focused Master of Science in Nursing program, you can join this in-demand specialization and help elderly patients maintain healthy and comfortable lives.
Adult-Geriatric Nurse Practice by the Numbers
- $87,089 The average salary for adult-geriatric nurse practitioners in the U.S., according to Payscale.com (2016)
- 2.5% The percentage of nurse practitioners in the U.S. who are AGNPs, according to the American Association of Nurse Practitioners (2015)
- 71.5 million The number of Americans projected to be 65 or older by 2030 (CNN.com)
Why choose Regis for your Master of Science in Nursing?
Reputation for Academic ExcellenceThe online MSN is a virtual extension of our highly regarded on-campus program, one of the largest NP programs in Massachusetts. Our MSN is accredited by the Accreditation Commission for Education in Nursing, and the National League for Nursing has recognized the Regis School of Nursing as a Center of Excellence in Nursing Education.
Nursing ExpertiseAt Regis, we work directly with active nursing professionals. That means we have an insider’s perspective on the leadership qualities the field demands, and we design our courses to build those skills. With our online nurse practitioner programs, you can develop important leadership qualities such as:
- Critical thinking
- Professional and interpersonal communication
- Strategic planning
- Organizational management
- Effective decision-making
Dedication to Social JusticeUnlike other schools, our commitment to social justice and lifelong learning isn’t summed up in one lecture; it’s woven into each course. Our MSN AGNP specialty is designed to help you promote lasting change in the nursing field by providing adults and senior citizens the care and knowledge they need to lead healthy lifestyles.
Supportive EnvironmentWe’re here to support you. With several degrees of student support, no GRE requirements, and flexible learning environments, we’re breaking down the barriers that often prevent bright minds from reaching their full potential in advanced practice. Our inclusive approach to leadership starts with our three entry points:
- Associate Degree in Nursing to MSN
- Associate Degree in Nursing with Non-Nursing Bachelor’s to MSN
- Bachelor of Science in Nursing to MSN
What can you do with an MSN AGNP degree?There were 44.7 million U.S. citizens over age 65 in 2014 (aoa.acl.gov). That number is projected to exceed 71 million by 2030 (CNN.com). Each of these people requires individual, specialized care to help treat and prevent age-related illnesses, such as metabolic syndrome, arthritis, or memory loss. With an adult geriatric nurse practitioner program, you can help adult and geriatric patients receive the specialized health services they need. Your responsibilities may include:
- Diagnosing and treating illness
- Counseling patients on maintaining a healthy lifestyle
- Coordinating care provided by specialty health care providers
- Providing preventive care, including routine checkups, health-risk assessments, and immunization and screening tests
- Collaborating with other health care providers
- Helping adult patients maintain and promote healthy lifestyles
- Advocating for underserved individuals and groups
While adult geriatrics is a focused area of the NP role, there are opportunities to specialize even further with additional education and training. Some areas of specialization include:
- Pulmonary care
- Environmental health
- Integrated complementary health care
Where can I work as an adult geriatric nurse practitioner?Like all nurse practitioners, AGNPs are in high demand due to changes in health care law, a rapidly aging population, and higher standards in primary care. Adult geriatric nurse practitioners are especially needed due to their specialized skill set. This means that AGNPs have many opportunities and are able to apply their skills in a variety of work settings, including:
- Community clinics
- Private medical practices
- Home care agencies
- Physicians’ offices
- Specialty clinics
- Veterans hospitals
- Assisted living facilities
- Rehabilitation centers
- Hospice/palliative care centers
About RegisAs a leader in education, Regis is dedicated to offering programs with a holistic view of health care that are designed for the future of the field. Through cutting-edge coursework, industry-active faculty members, and an array of majors and graduate programs, Regis has been able to positively impact the educational community, health care landscape, and personal lives of students nationwide.
“In recent years, Regis has become a powerhouse in professional and graduate education in nursing and health sciences. As a result, our university has become increasingly visible locally, nationally, and internationally.”President Dr. Antoinette Hays, RN, Ph.D.